'STEELER NATION' EXTENDS ALL THE WAY TO CORCORAN STATE PRISON IN CALIFORNIA

"THE STEELERS' NUMBER ONE FAN IS NOT DAN ROONEY, AND IT'S NOT SOME FAT SLOB HOLDING A TERRIBLE TOWEL SLURPING DOWN A BEER IN FRONT OF HIS TV. THE NUMBER ONE STEELER FAN IS LOCKED UP, PROBABLY FOR LIFE, IN A CALIFORNIA PRISON, HIS NAME SYNONYMOUS WITH SENSELESS CRIME." -- Mike Prisuta, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Sports Columnist and WDVE Morning Show personality.

Here is PART ONE of Mr. Prisuta's exclusive interview with Charles Manson.

MIKE PRISUTA: Mr. Manson, why do say that you're the Steeler's number one fan?

CHARLES MANSON: Well, see, Mr. Prisuta, that's just another example, people putting words in my mouth. From the D.A. to the warden and now you. See, I never claimed to be the number one anything. I'm a petty car thief; if I wanted to be number one, you all better watch out . . . .

MIKE PRISUTA: I have here a letter here you wrote to me where you claim to be the Steelers' number one fan.

CHARLES MANSON: Yeah, well, see, I pretty much tell people what they want to hear. You learn that in the hole. But, see, the "Chief," [Steeler founder Art Rooney] and myself, we think alike in terms of motivating people, of getting people to be where they ought to be . . . Of course he and I used different methods to achieve our goals . . . .


MIKE PRISUTA: Now how would you motivate people to get the ball across the goal line?

CHARLES MANSON: See, that "goal line" -- that's just one of those words you make up to make you think you're a winner and people like me are losers. But it's exactly the opposite. It's like this: you and me are sitting in the desert, and you draw a line across the sand, and you say, "I scored 'cause I'm over the line and you're not." And I'm thinking, "Scored what?" And you say, "You don't get it. I win and you lose because I'm in the end zone and you're not." Well, the fact is, Mr. Prisuta, up here [pointing to his head] I'm everywhere. I'm in the end zone and I'm out of the end zone, and I'm up and down and all around, and I'm driving a motorcycle down to the San Diego Zoo, and I'm your children and I'm the trees . . .

MIKE PRISUTA: (Interrupting) Mr. Manson, Mr. Manson -- why don't we get back to the Steelers, you being their number one fan and all . . . .

PART TWO OF THE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW TOMORROW