EDITORIAL: MY HEART IS BROKEN FOR MICHELLE KWAN, AND I'D NEVER HEARD OF HER UNTIL LAST FRIDAY

EDITORIAL - I've been so distraught I haven't been able to eat since I heard the news yesterday that Michelle Kwan, said to be a world class figure skater, was forced to withdraw from the Olympics due to a groin injury, marking the end to a long and illustrious career at the wizened age of 25. I suspect this must be one of those "sports" where the female athletes peak at the age of 12.

The fact that I had never heard of Ms. Kwan until Friday and haven't the vaguest idea how "figure skating" could possibly be a competitive sport is completely beside the point. After all, this is the Olympics, and it is one of the grand rituals of Western Civilization that we are all expected to feign interest in it around the water cooler, if only to justify NBC's obscene investment in covering it for us.

With all that said, we wish Ms. Kwan the very best, and we're sure that her accomplishments over her storied career were tremendous, whoever she is, whatever it is she did.

--Hon. Rufus Peckham