TED KENNEDY BLAMES LIGHTNING THAT STRUCK HIS AIRPLANE ON HIS PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION

SENATOR INSTINCTIVELY RESORTS TO KENNEDY FAMILY'S STOCK DENIAL OF RESPONSIBILITY

BOSTON - An eight-seat Cessna Citation 550 carrying Senator Edward M. Kennedy from North Adams to Cape Cod was struck by lightning, causing a loss of electrical power including communication with the ground. The pilot, forced to fly manually, diverted the plane to New Haven, where he landed safely.

On the ground, reporters asked Senator Kennedy about the near-disaster, and without hesitation the Senator pulled out a dog-eared, crumpled paper labeled
"Kennedy Accident Speech." The statement read as follows:

"The people of Massachussetts are entitled to a full explanation for today's unfortunate events. Let me make clear that I take full responsibility for these most regrettable occurrences. While it is no excuse, my judgment and my perception were severely impaired by the prescription medications I am taking under doctor's orders for a back injury I sustained while serving the downtrodden during the presidential administration of my late brother, Saint -- I mean, President John F. Kennedy. I and my family, including my late brother President John F. Kennedy, my late brother Senator Robert F. Kennedy, and my late brother, war hero and patriot Joseph Kennedy, have devoted our lives to public service and to you, and I solemnly pledge to continue to serve in that selfless tradition despite today's events, which were totally beyond my control and for which I take full responsibility."