ANDREA YATES GIVES JOHN MARK KARR FRIENDLY ADVICE: "YOU NEED TO CONFESS TO FOUR MORE MURDERS BEFORE THEY'LL LET YOU OFF"

YATES WAS FOUND NOT GUILTY BY REASON OF INSANITY AFTER DROWNING HER FIVE CHILDREN

HOUSTON - Andrea Yates, the mother who was found not guilty by reason of insanity in the bathtub drownings of her five young children, called JonBenet Ramsey's confessed killer John Mark Karr today to give him some friendly advice. The brief call was monitored by Yates' physicians at the Houston mental hospital where she is being treated for severe postpartum psychosis. This news source has obtained a transcript of that call:

YATES: "John, I have to talk quickly before they cut me off. You have no chance of getting off unless you confess to killing four more kids . . . [unintelligible], and you need to tell them Satan was inside you. I know how it goes, John, I know how it goes. You snap and you kill one kid in a pique of anger, and then you wonder to yourself, 'What the hell do I do now to get out of this one?' See, John, trust me about this -- one kid's not enough -- one's not enough to make you look crazy. Five kids, John. You need to kill five. Trust me. I'm an expert on this."

KARR: [Long pause] "Who is this?"

Officials at the Los Angeles County Jail where Karr is being held said that Karr did not take the call seriously. "That woman sounds like some kind of nut," Karr said.