CINDY SHEEHAN OPENS HOT DOG STAND NEAR BUSH RANCH

"I MIGHT AS WELL MAKE SOME MONEY WHILE I'M STANDING HERE," SHE SAYS

CRAWFORD, Texas - As the crowds of supporters, diehard Democrats, the curious and the news media continue to surge at Cindy Sheehan's makeshift campsite outside President Bush's Texas ranch, someone joked, "A hot dog stand would clean up here."

And that's where she got the idea. To make it happen, Mrs. Sheehan called Jimmy Carter yesterday morning and asked him to bring some of his "Habitat for Humanity" carpenters to construct a "first rate" hot dog stand. "Because," she told the former President, "it's for peace and all that."

The hot dog stand went up before nightfall. Carter even came up with the design. "My men and I have done many, many retail units in the image of giant frankfurters," the former President said. "And I'm proud of the job we did -- a hell of a lot better than that dreck we slap up for the poor people."

But a well-known liberal activist, wishing to remain anonymous, decried the design. "It is Ronald Reagan kitsh," she said. "Yet people accuse me of exercising poor judgment when I, as a movie star from a famous Hollywood family, posed with North Vietnamese soldiers!"

Mrs. Sheehan has shown herself to be a hands-on proprietor. "Our big sellers are footlongs and lemonade. And I'm adding a line of t-shirts for the kids that say, 'Bush is an ass _ _ _ _,'" Mrs. Sheehan explained.