SANTONIO HOLMES WINS ROOKIE TALENT SHOW WITH IMPROMPTU GARLAND TRIBUTE

LATROBE, Pa. - Steelers rookie wide receiver Santonio Holmes captivated veterans and coaches alike last night with a note-perfect tribute to Judy Garland, winning the traditional rookie talent show in a landslide. Standing between the steam tables, Holmes delivered a ten-minute medley of Garland’s most famous numbers, pausing only to identify the composer of each song and the film in which the song was introduced.

Steelers defensive backs coach Darren Perry said it was the most memorable rookie talent show performance he had witnessed. “I remember when I had to get up in front of my teammates during my first training camp in 1992. I was so nervous, I nearly forgot the words to my song. I sang The Way We Were, and when I got to the line that begins “scattered pictures,” I froze. Fortunately, Greg Lloyd was in the front row and he softly sang the next line, so I was able to pick it up without missing a beat. Greg was a huge Streisand fan, you know.” Perry added, however, that Holmes made him look like a rank amateur. “Santonio opened with The Trolley Song, zipping from table to table with his 'clang clang clangs' and such. It put a smile on everyone’s face," he said. "By the time he hit the big finish of Rock-a-Bye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody, the whole dining hall was standing and cheering. Tears were streaming down Coach Cowher’s face. Casey Hampton and Duce Staley were sobbing on each other’s shoulders. I’ve never seen anything like it. I knew Santonio was a receiva, but I had no idea he was a diva.”

Holmes was typically modest when asked about his ability to channel the legendary singer. “I’ve been a fan of Judy my whole life. I’ve got every record she ever made.” He then fell to one knee and began crooning “You Made Me Love You,” before blowing a kiss and heading off to practice.