COWHER FILES PROTEST: GAME FILMS SHOWED BIG BEN PARALYZED WITH FEAR AS CHARGERS' LINEBACKERS DONNED "MARTHA FLEISHMAN MASKS"

PITTSBURGH - Steelers coach Bill Cowher has filed a formal protest with the NFL against the San Diego Chargers as game films today revealed that during the second half of Sunday night's game, every time the Steelers had possession, as soon as the ball was snapped San Diego's linebackers donned masks bearing a caricature of Martha Fleishman, the woman who was driving the car that struck Roethlisberger's motorcycle last June on Second Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh.

Each time San Diego donned the masks, Roethlisberger was rendered wholly ineffective, frozen with fear. The Steelers were shut out in the second half and gained just 49 yards after intermission. "I can't tell you the last time I lost three games in a row," said Roethlisberger, who threw two interceptions and was sacked five times.

"It was the damnedest thing," said Cowher. "When they put on those masks, you could see the cold sweat break out on Ben's face, and it was as if his feet were planted in cement."

A shaken Roethlisberger spoke briefly with this news source. "I can't explain it, but when I saw that face coming at me, in my mind I was back on my bike on Second Avenue, and there she was, bearing down on me. Only this time, everywhere I looked, there was Martha." Tears streamed down Roethlisberger's face as he spoke.

Steeler partriarch Dan Rooney said he is going to have Rocky Bleier counsel Roethlisberger. "Rocky had the exact same problem with flashbacks to 'Nam and all that. Ben's experience is no different."