STEELERS COACH TOMLIN BREAKS INTO SONG ABOUT MEN

Routine question about player evaluation leads to chorus of “Stout-Hearted Men”

PITTSBURGH – Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin unexpectedly broke into the Broadway tune “Stout-Hearted Men” at his weekly new conference today, revealing a clear tenor voice to the assembled reporters.


Since his introductory news conference, Tomlin has consistently referred to Steelers players as “men” or “the men.” Still, reporters at the news conference were surprised when Tomlin stepped away from the podium, looked into the distance, and belted out, “Give me some men who are stout-hearted men…Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men/And I’ll soon give you ten thousand more!” His performance was met with polite, and perplexed applause.

Tomlin later explained his actions. “Besides football, show tunes are my passion. I know people don’t ordinarily break into song in everyday life, but ‘Stout-Hearted Men’ perfectly captures my coaching philosophy. ‘Shoulder to shoulder, bolder and bolder’ says it all. I put together a Broadway medley for my interview with the Rooneys, and I think that’s what sealed the deal.”

Previously, Tomlin had been heard humming the theme song to the CBS comedy, “Two and a Half Men,” but this was the first time he broke out into song. Longtime Steelers writer Gerry Dulac, who was at the news conference, said, “He did a pretty good job singing, but he’s no Frenchy Fuqua. That guy could sing a ballad that would knock your socks off. Maybe Mike could work on a few more showstoppers.” Tomlin said he is indeed working on a few other tunes. “I’m going wait to see how the season goes before deciding on the next song,” he said. “But none of that Andrew Lloyd Webber crap. I’m strictly a Rogers and Hammerstein man.”

Steelers guard and co-captain Alan Faneca was still in Hawaii vacationing when he heard about the singing coach. “I said it before and I’ll say it again --- I wanted Russ [Grimm] to get the job.” Tomlin had no comment on Faneca’s statement, other than to begin humming “So Long, Farewell” from "The Sound of Music."