COULTER'S REMARKS STIR CONTROVERSY

WASHINGTON Prior to the release of her new book "How to Deep Fry Puppies," conservative pundit Ann Coulter is grabbing headlines by using what most people would consider shocking statements. While addressing the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington last week, Coulter labeled Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards a "Political Mastermind," stunning the Republican gathering.

Republican presidential candidates quickly distanced themselves from Coulter's remarks. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney said, "I spoke to her earlier today and she said Edwards had nice hair. I told her I had nice hair, too, and she called me a 'faggot.'"

Arizona Senator John McCain said, "Ann Coulter doesn't speak for all Republicans. I told her that she was free to speak her mind and the party was free to disagree. That's when she called me a 'pasty faced old faggot.'"

Former New York Mayor Rudi Giuliani brushed off Coulter's remarks. "Her apparent endorsement of Edwards may have had something to do with her medications, I don't know. As far as what she said to the other candidates, I'm not sure she knows the meaning of the word 'faggot.'" Kansas Senator Sam Brownback, another presidential candidate, disagreed with Giuliani. "I believe she knows exactly what it means," said Brownback. "She called me a 'cornholing, fudgepacking, panty wearing faggot.' I think that shows a pretty good understanding of the word."

The furor over Coulter's heartfelt admiration of John Edwards completely overshadowed her announcement that she had joined the Ku Klux Klan.