TRANSCRIPT RELEASED OF RENDELL-LEMIEUX EXCHANGE THAT LED TO "IMPASSE" OVER NEW ARENA


LEMIEUX'S FAMOUS TEMPER ALMOST SCUTTLED DEAL

[Mario Lemieux finishes telling story that elicits laughter from group]

Gov. Ed Rendell: You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny.

Mario Lemieux: [Deadly serious] What do you mean I'm “funny”?

Gov. Ed Rendell: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy. [Laughs]

Mario Lemieux: What do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?

Gov. Ed Rendell: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything.

[It becomes quiet]

Mario Lemieux: Funny how? What's funny about it?

Dan Onorato: Mario, no, You got it all wrong.

Mario Lemieux: No, no, Dan. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?

Gov. Ed Rendell: (Very uncomfortable) Just...

Mario Lemieux: What?

Gov. Ed Rendell: Just... ya know... you're funny.

Mario Lemieux: (Angry) You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know, maybe it's me, I'm a little f***ed up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to f***in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Gov. Ed Rendell: (Frightened) Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?

Mario Lemieux: (Very angry) No, no, I don't know. You said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the f**k am I funny, what the f**k is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

Gov. Ed Rendell: (long pause, realizes Mario is putting him on) Get the f**k out of here, Mario!

[Everyone laughs]

Mario Lemieux: (Laughing) Ya motherf***er! I almost had him, I almost had him! I wonder about you sometimes, Eddie! You may fold under questioning!