CROSBY SAYS BROKEN FOOT 'ONLY A FLESH WOUND,' WILL KEEP IT BROKEN FOR NEXT SEASON

PITTSBURGH -- NHL scoring champion Sidney Crosby played the final 2 1/2 weeks of the regular season and the playoffs with a broken left foot, an injury the Pittsburgh Penguins star didn't disclose until Saturday.

Crosby said he's intent on proving that he is "the greatest player in the history of the game" by playing all next season with a broken foot. He said he will not allow the foot completely heal but will continually break it. "I'll take a sledge hammer to it and keep it in a constant broken state." As he was speaking, Crosby pulled out a small hatchet and chopped off a toe on his good foot, the right one. He used a towel to stop the bleeding and continued the interview as if nothing had happened. His only reference to this act of mayhem was to apologize for using the towel. "The arena doesn't like it when I get blood all over their locker room."

"I might even break both feet while I'm at it," the 19-year old superstar said. "I'm also thinking of gouging out one of my eyes," he winked.