ROMNEY SAYS HE WOULD ONLY PRACTICE POLYGAMY IF FORCED BY HIS MORMON RELIGION

WASHINGTON – In a wide-ranging interview on 60 Minutes, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney addressed his religion and touched on a moral issue that plagued the administration of the husband of one of his potential rivals.

“The American people can accept me as a Mormon,” Romney told Mike Wallace, “And I really don't think Polygamy will be an issue unless my religion forces me to start practicing it.”

With a clear reference to President Clinton’s dalliance with Monica Lewinsky, Romney promised he would never cheat on his present wife, as he described her for the camera (see picture) or any others he was obliged to take on. “The [Clinton affair] has no place in the White House – no place at all for [that sort of thing].”

During the interview Romney revealed his great-great grandfather practiced polygamy. "I’m sure I could do it – runs in the family so to speak,” Romney said confidently, “But I imagine it would be hell on earth every 28 days or so. "