PITTSBURGH SPORTS TALK ICON, BETTIS-BASHER MARK MADDEN, SUFFERS HEART ATTACK

MADDEN HAS EPIPHANY: "''THE BUS' SPIRIT OVERCAME ME AND SPARED MY LIFE."

PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh sports talk icon Mark Madden suffered a heart attack over the weekend and is in stable condition after undergoing what doctors described as a "medical procedure." Madden, who in recent weeks has taken to bashing beloved Steeler Jerome Bettis, was watching a video replay of the Bettis fumble in the Steelers' playoff victory over the Colts two weeks ago at the time he was stricken.

"I can't describe it," said Madden. "Suddenly a peace that surpasses all understanding overcame me, and I felt so very bad that 'the Bus' had fumbled -- I know I'm several weeks late in feeling that way. But I felt so bad, I had a heart attack. Jerome is such a wonderful player, and an even more wonderful person, isn't he?"

Bettis was recently beatified by Pope Benedict, signaling that he is just one step removed from Sainthood. "On my way to the hospital, I felt Jerome's big arms around me, comforting me," said Madden. "I knew then and there that I would survive -- because 'the Bus' wants me alive." Pittsburgh Catholic Diocese spokesman Father Ron Lengwin said that the Catholic Church likely would investigate Madden's survival to assess whether it qualifies as a legitimate miracle attributable to Bettis.

Related story: Bettis beatified by Pope