SURGEON GENERAL REPORT: NAPPING IS MORE RESTFUL THAN STRENUOUS, DIFFICULT EXERCISE

WASHINGTON - A new Surgeon General's report concludes that napping, even for one half-hour a day, is more restful than an equivalent period of heavy, strenuous exercise. Vice-Admiral Dr. Richard H. Carmona's report followed an extensive two-year study comparing the two activities.

"I used myself as the test subject," said Dr. Carmona. "After twenty-four months of diagnostic evaluation, I found that napping, especially the kind where I fell into a deep slumber, was conclusively more relaxing than forcing myself to get up out of my chair, go to the gym and engage in heavy exercise," he said. "Not that I ever tried the latter."

Equally surprising, the report reveals that merely lounging around the house watching television "and eating Cheez-It crackers" proved to be more restful than even light exercise. "There were many times in that two year period where I was just so lethargic that I slumped in my recliner and could barely lift my head," said Dr. Carmona. "So, for the sake of the study, I forced myself to doze off."

Dr. Carmona said that his research will next tackle the question of whether exercise is more relaxing than daydreaming in general, or daydreaming about beautiful women.