Kim Jong-Il attributes his despotic behavior to sexual abuse by the same priest who molested Congressman Foley

PYONGYANG - North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il revealed today that Rev. Anthony Mercienca, 69, the priest who molested ex-Congressman Mark Foley as a boy, also molested Kim when he was a teenager. In an interview unprecedented for its candor, Kim pointed to sexual abuse by Father Mercienca as the root cause of his despotic ways.

"When I act out by exhibiting cruelty or dishonesty or sexual excesses, or when I conduct illicit nuclear tests, that's the abused altar boy, not me," said Kim. "Although I attribute my inappropriate, despotic behavior to the trauma I sustained as a young adolescent, that does not excuse me of my actions."

Father Mercienca, retired and living on the Maltese island of Gozo, admitted to reporters having relations with Kim four decades ago and provided details of the encounters, including the time the two were naked in a sauna together, and the times Father Mercienca touched Kim, "once, maybe twice."


"My one regret," said Father Mercienca, "is that I taught Kim a game that I called 'Let's show each other our nuclear missiles,' and I'm afraid that game had too much of an influence on him."