MARCH 11 COMPUTER GLITCH PROVIDES LAST GASP TO STRUGGLING Y2K BUSINESS

PORT VUE - In the late 1990s, software programmer Noah Swayne's business was booming because his specialty was preventing Y2K problems. The potential disasters associated with the so-called Millennium Bug never materialized. Unfortunately for Swayne, he never diversified his business.

Since January 1, 2000, Swayne has witnessed a sharp decline in customers. "In fact, I had no business at all," Swayne said. "One day I have more business than I can handle, going to Atlantic City every weekend, the next day, poof, it's all gone."

Swayne hung on, waiting for the next computer-generated cataclysm, and he's hoping the March 11 bug is, in his words, "the big one." The nation's computers, he explained, are not prepared for the early start of daylight saving time on March 11th. So once again, Swayne is working eighteen hour days, patching desktops and laptops. After this, "Who knows?" he said. "I'm just grateful this new problem surfaced. I don't know if I could hang on for Y3K."