GOD ADMITS MAKING MYRON COPE A BROADCASTER WAS 'A COSMIC JOKE THAT GOT AWAY FROM ME'

“I figured a few of us would get a laugh out of hearing him on the radio and then Myron would get fired. But he clicked. Who knew?”

HEAVEN - After welcoming Steelers broadcaster and Pittsburgh icon Myron Cope into His loving embrace last Wednesday, God admitted today that He never intended him to become a broadcaster.


“I try to temper the gifts I give to My children to keep them humble,” the Almighty explained. “For example, I came up with the concept of the dumb blonde --- great physical beauty, but a little light on brain power. For someone like Hines Ward, I gave him pass-catching skills and a love of hitting people, but I made him a few inches too short for Ben's [Roethlisberger] liking. For Mark Madden -- well, I can't really think of any positives."

“When I was forming Myron in My own image (more or less), I gave him exceptional writing skills, but then I paired those skills with that God-awful voice. No pun intended.”

In 1970, God made a fateful decision: He put Cope on the radio. “"When you've been in this business as long as I have, you learn you need to keep things light-hearted, and I thought all of us would get a laugh from subjecting millions of innocent people to Myron's voice. But instead of hating it, people loved him. Yoi and double yoi.”

Cope broadcast Steelers’ games for 35 years, gave birth to the Terrible Towel, and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Since Cope’s death, tributes have poured in from around the country.

“I’m supposed to be all-knowing, but I didn’t see this coming,” God said sheepishly. “I’m going to have to work in less mysterious ways from now on.”