Obama fills in for Kennedy delivering commencement address, carousing at Boston bars, hitting on women

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - On Saturday afternoon, Barack Obama stood in for Senator Edward Kennedy, who was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor last week, when he delivered the commencement address at Wesleyan University.

On Saturday night, Obama filled in for Kennedy by taking over his rounds carousing at more than a dozen Boston taverns, hitting on young women at each of them.

"I am honored that my mentor, a true champion of the poor and the thirsty, asked me to fill in for him during a time of need," Obama told tavern patrons at The Quill, a Boston establishment. Obama gulped down a beer, then turned to three young women to ask for their phone numbers.

"Hello there, sweeties. If you'd all give me your phone numbers, you would be helping me honor Senator Kennedy."