MAZ SAYS HE WAS ON LSD WHEN HE HIT GAME-WINNING HOMER IN 1960 SERIES; HALL-OF-FAMER CLAIMS HE GOT IT FROM DANNY MURTAUGH

PITTSBURGH - Hall of Fame second baseman Bill Mazeroski made a startling admission to reporters prior to last night's Pirates game. “I was on LSD when I hit that home run in sixty,” he said. “I don’t remember a thing about it.” Speaking to a media assemblage in town for the Pirates-Yankees three game interleague series, Mr. Mazeroski revealed hitherto unknown facts about the game, the home run, and his introduction to hallucinogenic drugs.

“Danny Murtaugh turned me on to it,” he said, referring to the Pirates manager. “He was always kidding me, telling me I was too uptight, calling me a square. He gave it to me during infield practice before the game. He told me it would make me see things I’d never seen before. He was right.” Mr. Mazeroski said Mr. Murtaugh obtained the LSD from his good friend, Timothy Leary. “Danny and Timmy hung out together for a long time,” he said. “Matter of fact, they shared a room in Haight-Ashbury for many years.”

Mr. Mazeroski said he knows his willingness to share such an unsavory piece of information may tarnish what for many baseball fans is one of the game's greatest moments. “But you know what? I’ve walked around for almost fifty years pretending. People never get tired of asking, but I’m sick of lying about it. I wish I could recall the moment, but the truth is, I spent the whole afternoon higher than the Cathedral of Learning. I didn’t come down from that trip for weeks.”